What You Need:
1 cup dried calendula
1 cup (or so) oil ( I use avocado)
3.5 TBSP beeswax (I use pastilles)
double boiler, or a pan and heat safe bowl
jars for the salve to go in, I use 4 oz. mason jars
How to make it:
1. If you have already dried calendula leaves, put them in a jar and cover the leaves with the oil of your choosing. I have been using avocado oil and it works beautifully.
If you only have fresh calendula you will want to dry them out first, at least a little. You can do this by using a dehydrator on a low setting or just letting them sit on your counter for a few days.
2. Let your calendula oil mixture sit for 2 to 3 weeks.
3. When the 2-3 weeks are up, strain the calendula flowers from the oil.
4. Set up your double boiler. I use a normal pot with a stainless steel bowl in it. You will want to add water to the bottom of the pot and bring it to a low boil. Add your calendula oil and beeswax to the bowl or top portion of your double boiler and stir until the beeswax melts.
5. Once the beeswax has melted completely, immediately remove the salve from the heat and add to your jar for storage. Let them sit uncovered until they cool. There you have it, calendula salve!
** THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE, CONSULT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL BEFORE USING THIS ON YOUR BODY